McClelland Consulting Engineers Inc. » » North Little Rock Roundabout
North Little Rock Roundabout

Details

The North Little Rock Roundabout project was named the 2011 Large Project of the Year by the Arkansas Chapter of the American Public Works Association. Previously, MCE was awarded the 2010 Small Project of the Year by the Arkansas APWA for the Riverview Drive Improvements project located in Malvern, Ark.

When the City of North Little Rock identified that the intersection of Pike Avenue (Highway 365), West Riverfront Drive (Highway 100) and West Roadway Avenue in North Little Rock, AR needed to be addresses to alleviate a traffic issue there, McClelland Consulting Engineers was selected to assist the City in designing a transportation solution. In collaboration with City officials and City engineers, MCE developed and designed a two-land roundabout solution including sidewalks, crosswalks and wheelchair ramps. The design also included a bypass lane from West Broadway Ave. to Pike Ave. to allow a free flow of traffic during peak hours, and special landscaping and lighting to enhance the area’s aesthetics. This is the first major roundabout located in central Arkansas, but the design solution is beginning to gain some favor throughout the state as drivers become more accustomed to their traffic calming capabilities. Completed in December 2010, the project has resulted in significant traffic calming (the project’s top priority), a reduction of pollution and increased safety for drivers and pedestrians.

The total project cost for the North Little Rock Roundabout totaled $1.9 million. Funding for this project was provided in the form of a matching grant as part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act approved by Congress in February 2009. $1.5 million (80%)of the project cost was funded by the federal government with the City of North Little Rock providing the remaining 20% of the total project cost. Because this project was federally funded, the Arkansas Highway & Transportation Department oversaw the project. MCE closely coordinated with the AHTD to ensure that all specifications, comments and concerns of the Department were met. MCE also provided services during construction of the project which required even further coordination to provide appropriate reports to meet AHTD approval. The McClelland firm also provided topographic surveying for this project.

Services

  • Airports & Aviation

    Airports & Aviation

  • Water Treatment & Distribution

    Water Treatment & Distribution

  • Wastewater Collection & Treatment

    Wastewater Collection & Treatment

  • Transportation & Traffic Engineering

    Transportation & Traffic Engineering

  • Civil / Site Design and Land Development

    Civil / Site Design and Land Development

  • Parks & Recreation

    Parks & Recreation

  • Land Surveying

    Land Surveying

  • Environmental Testing Laboratory Services

    Environmental Testing Laboratory Services

  • Geotechnical Engineering

    Geotechnical Engineering

  • Construction Materials Testing

    Construction Materials Testing

  • Construction Observation

    Construction Phase Services

  • Landscape Architecture

    Landscape Architecture

  • Sustainable and LEED Design

    Sustainable and LEED Design

© 2017 McClelland Consulting Engineers Inc.